Sunday, September 11, 2005

Man school is terrible...

Anyway who was there on Tuesday that night I ranted on about school, should actually read this closely. Cory interrupted my actual point behind this, so I'd be better if you actually read all this.

With that said time for one of my crazy inane rants.

So seriously your reading my blog, and chances are you are, have been, or never will again, go to school.

Seriously anyone who likes school must not be totally there or they are really skipping classes to hang out with their friends. News flash, that doesn't count.

Now don't get me wrong, learning is awesome but there are things about school that just plain suck.

Right now I'm pretty much talking about High school but people in College and university can relate.

Lets list off some things that make school a drag:
  • Lame Teachers, you know the ones that aren't doing their job of actually teaching you. Heck most people hate teachers for the next reason and that is...
  • Homework, I for one don't mind it, but it takes time, hey if I could get out of doing homework, I would. But apparently it helps your progress in school.
  • The collective attitude that what you do now effects your entire life. I mean seriously who has heard their teacher say that if you fail this test you will end up with a bad grade? As we all no bad grades will ruin the rest of our lives for all eternity right? No? Then why does it seem like the entire school makes you think that.

Seriously I have no idea how to run this pointless composing box on this blog, so I'm switching over to HTML mode because I am really comfortable with it.




Oh man I love the

command. Anyway where was I?
Oh yes. We go to school to have it drilled in our heads that this foot in the door is the only chance we will have, and if we screw up now, our whole lives we be screwed. Harsh words, but really thats the plain truth of what we our told from grade 4 till we graduate college. If we don't do well in Grade 10 Math for example, we won't do well in Grade 11 math, and then without Grade 11 math we won't graduate... blah blah blah. Really it's only up to us to commit to passing and doing well, heck I could just plain not try in Math 10 and get a pass and then in Grade 11 get straight A's because I started to care. My point is, how much stress do we face when we go to schools and find out that even though we are giving full effort we find out that "Brent, your not trying hard enough". I got that from my socials teacher in grade 10. He told me I wasn't trying. I got a B. Not trying, heck I worked my butt off for a B, he doesn't know me... I think I'm just frustrated with schools lying to us. That if we screw up in school our whole lives will be ruined.

Heres my point, it doesn't matter what job you have, what grades you get in school, or even if you graduated or not. We are equal in the eyes of god. God loves us for who we are, not how good or bad we do in school. Now if schools taught that in schools, maybe we wouldn't have 80% of the suicide rate in Canada being Highschool kids.

I'm not saying don't try... I saying that this isn't all there is in life. School is just the beginning, remember your still young, and you have a life to do what you want. With that said I'd also like to meation one big important fact. This realm isn't just it. I mean I'd rather spend my time in school helping my friends to know god and end up in heaven then get good grades.

Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.
Proverbs 9:9

We can learn all the knowledge in the world, and still be idiots. Idiots for not choosing God.

The only way we can suceed is with God. I can't be more blunt than that. I don't mean succeed as in have the most money or a nice car, or being the smartest or the fastest or the strongest, or the most beautiful as this world and the society even in our school tells us we have to be. Why do we go to school? Do we learn about God at school now a days? No, we learn so we can go to college, and get a degree so we can get a career. Thats not what the bible tells us is the most important thing to do. I notice more and more that we as christians in this area of work, yes going to school is considered an occupation, decide that we our to busy to listen to what tells us to do. The next time you get home, think about what you do first. Your homework or do you thank god for helping you get through another day at school?

Well...

That was a really mean blog so I will allow you to enjoy my little pic by pic comic I made.

Here is me in Programming Class


Here is me in Socials class


Here is me in Math class


And finally me in Chemistry class


-Brent
Ps- I update my profile pic and song... incase you were wondering.

Karyn I also want you to listen to this whenever you notice my blog has changed.

home.graffiti.net/countolaf39/Mozart-TurkishMarch.mp3


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, good comment there. Better delete this reject, Brent.

Anyway, I do sympathize with you, but I can't empathize. That's because I've always been an alternative schooler. I homeschooled grades k-8, then went to Windsor House School for two grades, and now I'm going to POWER.
OK, so I'll be graduation when I'm 20 (this winter). Whatever. I've done alot of personal growth as well as academic growth. I think that if you hate the school you go to, check into alternatives. Public Highschool isn't the only way to graduate. At POWER, the teachers actually like teaching and they care about you. It's awesome.

Oh yeah, if someone's reading this and is wondering, my average grade is B and I've gotten A's in plenty of classes.

Anonymous said...

Oops, it's http://sd40.bc.ca/power.

Ashley said...

i like school..and my teachers and i even like homework. I think school is a very good thing and personally I haven't ever been told that if I screw up in highschool then the rest of my life will be screwed. I've heard that I'd be closing doors... but not that the rest of eternity would be bad and horrid.

Anyways... I understand your point and I hope that school gets better for you.

Karyn Baker said...

Hey, Brent - love the new song. It's one of Michael and Joanne's favourites at the moment.

I agree with Ashley - if you mess up school that won't mess up the rest of your life, but habits of personal discipline learned now will stand you in good stead forever (teacher speaking, of course, so I'm biased).

I also think you've hit the nail on the head when it comes to what our culture says is supposed to be the flow of our lives as opposed to what the scriptures say - go with the scriptures every time. But sometimes they are not exclusive - Paul says that he becomes all things to all men in order to win them to Christ. Perhaps he even becomes a good student? Haha - just a thought....

See you soon,
Bakes

Karyn Baker said...

PS - The Mozart Turkish march didn't work - too bad, I love classical music....

Brent, the one and only, unless your name is Brent said...

copy and paste the entire link in the url Karyn

Christine said...

That song is actually called
Rondo alla Turca! (which come to think of it prolly means turkish march LOL)

good song!

I have a cd with this song on it. its a lovely song. i would LOVE to learn to play it!

Brent, the one and only, unless your name is Brent said...

Rondo alla turca was the name of the song annouced during Mozart's last visit to Spain where he played this and his famous Symphony in G minor other wise dubed the K.550... The actual name of the song is "The Turkish March" in english.

-Brent
PS. I know alot of random facts... :P

Karyn Baker said...

Hey, I've played K.550 - known more commonly as Symphony No. 40. I like Mozart - I'm working on his Violin Concerto No. 2 right now. Turkish March always sounds to me so....happy. If you like random stuff, Brent, I have some fun facts for you about his opera "The Magic Flute" - but I'll save that for when I see you in person.
:)

Christine said...

i love that ballet!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kid;

Try to remember that teachers are peopel too. Some of them may be responding to years of putting up with student apathy or attitude. It's not an easy job (but it is a thankless one!) Talk to your teachers keeping that in mind. They have your best interests at heart (and they are under a lot of pressure from their depatment heads, administrators, schools boards, and parents to ensure you are prepared for life). You create your own school expereince, positive or negative. Seek out the things in school that you can be passionate about. There are so many opportunities, from music to sports to art to drama to media to government to leadership. After high school, these sorts of programs are not as available (of free!) Adulthood isn't much easier, just different. Love this time of your life and the high school experience - you never get to have it again once it's over (the bad or the good).

Just for fun, here's some advice Bill Gates recently dished out at a high school speech about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.


Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it

Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $40,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping-they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rainforest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

Anonymous said...

people
department

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a certified, experienced high school teacher, I would agree, Anon, that many teachers are responding to years of student apathy and poor attitudes. This does not, however, mean they are responding correctly. I have met and worked with some star teachers in my day, and met and worked with people only in it for a paycheque - and hurting too many teenagers in the process, both educationally and emotionally. A student doesn't entirely create their own school experience, just like an abused wife doesn't create her abusive situation. (Not that I'm calling high school abusive.) She does usually choose what to make of that situation just like a student will have to choose to take as much positive stuff away from both good and bad environments as possible. But's let not blanket the world with too much of this 'teachers are hard done by and are only mean because of their students' behaviour' stuff - that's completely bogus, and if you're a teacher, you should know that already.

Brent, the one and only, unless your name is Brent said...

Hey Kid;

Try to remember that teachers are peopel too. Some of them may be responding to years of putting up with student apathy or attitude. It's not an easy job (but it is a thankless one!) Talk to your teachers keeping that in mind. They have your best interests at heart (and they are under a lot of pressure from their depatment heads, administrators, schools boards, and parents to ensure you are prepared for life). You create your own school expereince, positive or negative. Seek out the things in school that you can be passionate about. There are so many opportunities, from music to sports to art to drama to media to government to leadership. After high school, these sorts of programs are not as available (of free!) Adulthood isn't much easier, just different. Love this time of your life and the high school experience - you never get to have it again once it's over (the bad or the good).

Just for fun, here's some advice Bill Gates recently dished out at a high school speech about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.


Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it

Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $40,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping-they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rainforest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.


I never said all teachers don't care, in fact I never said any teachers don't care, I said they imply into your head that highschool is what will determine your entire life, then when in all truth and reality it is more of a stepping stone. You ( used here as in teachers not as in you entirely) enforce this ideal with so much emphasis that you stress the body into believing it so much that if they here they are a fag, that they are a fag for the rest of their lives. Oh and I have talking with all my teachers, in fact I respect all of my teachers, and I have talken with alot of the student body about this and I only write this, based on their assumptions you imply in them. I'm not saying all of you imply so don't even bother pointing that out. In fact why are you even bothering arguing with a 15 year old teen over the internet, because I might have offended you, because I implyed this or this. Maybe instead of reading my blog you could've sat down with one of your students and listened to why he/she is concerned about school and why they are stressed about it.

To your long list that you quoted Bill Gates, they all fall directly in contrast with the word of god.
Just for fun lets look at them all..
-Life is not fair eh? Life wasn't intended to be fair, but it could be fair, if we as humans would stop being so self centered and made a godly choice to treat everyone equally.
-The world will expect something from me before I have self motivation? So the world will want me to go in and shoot up a bank without having a logical reason? Then how come the detectives in those cases are also looking for called motive before they can prosecute them? Look like I just proved how contridicting society can be...

-Making $40,000 after highschool is not logical... DUH? Did I even say that? I don't care for money, in fact I'm considering the whole ministry option.

There are so many things wrong with that list it would take up three pages for me to show you how the word of the lord will make the world a better place. Maybe the world wouldn't suck if you would do what god intended you to do?
I'm not saying you chose the wrong career, in fact teaching is a spiritual gift, but consider using it for god.

Anonymous said...

I agree with first anon. Yeah, sometimes life is tough, but it's a cop out to say that it's because teachers are only in it for the paycheck. First of all, education is so not the career to choose if you are looking to make money. Secondly, if you play the victim you become the victim. Everyone stresses about homework, friends, future possibilities and all of that stuff. It's tough being a teenager. I think personal responsibility is a big part. An abused wife still has choices. Sure, there are crummy teachers. There are crummy students, crummy police officers, crummy doctors, crummy politicians....the list goes on. But don't blanket the world with school is bad because teachers don't care either (just as bogus, man.)

Anonymous said...

I am the first anonymous, and I'd like to point out that I never said I was a teacher. If you don't want to elicit comments from your blog, then why do you publish it?

Anonymous said...

I am the second Anon - why are you offended that someone has a different opinion than you or an opinion about what you say?

Anonymous said...

From first anon:
I'm so not offended, just surprised that the response to my opinion was that maybe I should be doing something better with my time than reading this blog. I guess I assumed blogging was done as an attempt to reach a wider and more diverse audience and perhaps open the floor to other opinions. I am open to many opinions, and I really enjoy lively discussions. These sorts of exchanges are far more enlightening than just statements of agreement or "see you on Thursday" stuff. It's fun to stir the pot a bit. It allows people to examine their beliefs and support what they believe. It's cool that people think differently - we all experience life differently. I think it's great that someone wasted their time reading this blog!